As a teenager, I have many memories of walking up a dark gravel road that led to our New Jersey summer home. Surrounded by the darkness of the night, not even the light of the moon could penetrate the large oak trees. At that time, the only source of light was a handheld flashlight. Note to former self: do not watch the horror classic “Halloween” before walking up Aniwa Road at night.
Fast forward to today, portable lighting has evolved over the years, especially in an era of alternative light sources and new technologies. I recently picked up the Mr Beams® UltraBright LED Lantern (Model MB470R) and was quite impressed with this portable lantern. Armed with a dedicated LED light that never needs to be replaced, this latest lantern provides sufficient light, making it the perfect companion during a camping trip or keeping the kids safe during the Halloween season. I also liked the contoured handle and the weight of the lantern, as it was really easy to carry around. With an emergency mode feature, it will automatically turn on if the power goes out – perfect solution in the case of a power outage. I’ve already found a home for this lantern, as it remains charged near my garage door, so it’s there when I need it. This is especially true since I live in an area that is prone to storms and power outages.
Charging on the Go
Another nice feature is a dedicated USB charging port, providing an alternative source for charging your cell phone or MP3 player. While writing this post, I was able to charge my iPad without any issues. It comes with a USB charging cord to charge the lantern and on a full charge, it can last up to 26 hours. As a wish list item, it would be cool if the lantern had built-in speakers, so that you could stream music from any portable player.
Here are some key features:
- Lantern provides 260 lumens of light, covering up to 900 square feet of light
- It operates on rechargeable li-ion rechargeable batteries, a lighter and more efficient feature
- Power outage system can detect a power outage and automatically turn on when the power goes out
- Two brightness settings (incl. night light mode) with a one hour auto shut off warning
- Dedicated USB port (pictured below) to charge electronics, including cell phones and MP3 players
- Removable top and hanging hook – just remove the top and hang it where needed (see image below)
- LED Color: Neutral White (4000K)
- Dimensions: 8” H x 4” W x 4” D (click here for image)
- Weather Resistant: Tight seals and UV resistant material allow this lantern to work in all weather conditions
Overall, this lantern is a great solution for light on on the go, and I encourage you to give it a try and tell me what you think. Click here to learn more about it.